John and I currently reside in Ashburn, Virginia in a beautiful condo that I have owned since before we were married. One of the things we have on our list of things to do post marriage is to buy a new place to call our own. When your husband is the handiest guy you know, and you are particular, finding a new location for your new home can be challenging.
About a month ago, we discovered a new build community out in West Virginia that has the perfect lot for us, and the perfect floor plan.
Who did we go with and why?
We honestly went with this house for the lot. The builder of this house is K-Hovnanian. For those of you who don’t know who K-Hov are, they are a production home builder in this area. That means they build many homes in the same neighborhood that match a template. In general, production home builders offer the following benefits:
- Offer home and land as a package
- Offer a range of house plans to choose from
- Allow buyers to select their favorite style/design from a menu in several product categories
- Build homes priced for first-time, move-up and luxury buyers [Source]
The largest down side to production home builders for us is they do not allow you to go outside the template. This post starts the series on our home building experience, where you can follow us through the process of buying, customizing, and eventually living in our brand new home.
What will this series cover?
We are only a month into the process. I’m going to give you guys a sneak peak of some topics that will be covered:
- Where to spend money on while you’re doing a new build, and subsequently, where not to
- The different types of materials and costs associated with them
- What upgrades mean to the resale value.
- You’ll get insight into how I budgeted for everything
- Where we compromised to save a few pennies
- Things you can do in your own home that we’re planning to do in our new home!
Right now our house is scheduled to be completed in late November, 2019. Hopefully you’ll enjoy this journey with us. Once it’s completed, you’ll be able to see us do our own mini-home renovation on our brand new build!
I’m really excited to share this journey with you, and I hope you’re excited to share it with us as well.
All Articles in This Series
Below, you can find a list of all articles in this series. Be sure to bookmark this page as this page will be updated often!
- We Bought A House!
- Finding the Right Place for Your New Home
- Deciding on a Production Build Floor Plan
- Production Build Options – An Overview
- Production Build Options – Structural
- Production Build Options – Design Center
- Production Build Options – Electrical
- Production Build Options – Recap
- Designing the Dream Kitchen from Scratch
- Breaking Ground on a New Build